Do you want to become a freelancer in Dubai? Through the GDRFA, you can apply for a five-year Green Visa

Home » Do you want to become a freelancer in Dubai? Through the GDRFA, you can apply for a five-year Green Visa
Do you want to become a freelancer in Dubai? Through the GDRFA, you can apply for a five-year Green Visa

If you want to work and live in Dubai as a freelancer, you can apply for the new five-year Green Visa, which allows you to work and live without the need for a UAE-based sponsor.

The new Green Visa is part of the UAE’s new visa system, which began this week. This new long-term visa also allows freelancers to not only sponsor first-degree relatives but also to stay in the UAE for up to six months after their visa expires. Here are the specifics on how to apply for one.

What is the Green Visa for Freelancers?

Before you begin applying for the visa, you should be aware of the conditions that must be met. This includes obtaining a freelance work permit from the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation. You must also have established yourself as a freelancer in the UAE or elsewhere, as one of the requirements for the visa is to show proof of income of at least Dh360,000 for the previous two years. So, if you have been earning a steady income of Dh15,000 as a freelancer for the past two years, you would be eligible for a long-term permit.

The Dubai Green Visa application is essentially a work entry visa that allows freelancers and professionals to stay in Dubai for 60 days from entry until the necessary residency permit procedures are completed.

Where does one apply for the Freelancer Green Visa in Dubai?

The General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs (GDRFA) is the authority in charge of issuing visas in the Emirate of Dubai, and you can apply for one of the following methods:

  • Online at the GDRFA Dubai website ( or in person at the GDRFA Dubai office.
  • Through an Amer Centre, which handles Dubai visa and residency applications on GDRFA’s behalf.

If, on the other hand, you want to apply for a visa through a different Emirate than Dubai, you can do so by contacting the Federal Authority for Identity, Citizenship, Customs, and Ports Security (ICP).

How much does the visa cost?

The application fee for a Green Visa is Dh335.75. If you are in the UAE when the permit is issued, you must pay an additional Dh650 for the ‘inside country status change.’

This price excludes the cost of the medical fitness test and the Emirates ID application. That will have to be paid for separately.

Also Read: UAE: Golden Visa vs. Green Visa: What’s the difference?

Documents required

  • Passport copy
  • Coloured photograph
  • Proof of income – minimum Dh360,000 or equivalent in other currency for the last two years
  • Freelancing permit from the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation (MOHRE).

How does one apply for a visa?

You can apply for the visa online at or in person at an Amer Centre.


  1. First, go to the GDRFA website,, and look for the ‘Entry permits’ button under the ‘Services’ section on the home page.
  2. Select the ‘Issuing Entry Permit for Green Residence (Self-Employment)’ application under ‘New Visa Services.’
  3. Click ‘Start service,’ and you will be taken to the login page. Select ‘individuals’ from the tab at the top of the screen, then log in with your GDRFA online account details if you already have one, or tap ‘Register now’ to create a new account. If you already have a UAE Pass account, you can use it to log in.
  4. After logging in, you will be directed to your personal GDRFA dashboard. Select the ‘Issuing Entry Permit for Green Residence (Self-Employment)’ option after clicking the green ‘New application’ button.
  5. You will be asked to complete an application form with your personal information and contact information. You will also be asked to verify your qualifications, profession, and passport information.
  6. Press the ‘Next’ button. You will then be prompted to upload the necessary visa documents.
  7. Make the payment.
  8. Once you’ve paid, your application will be completed and sent to GDRFA.

According to the GDRFA website, you will receive a text message and an e-mail with the status of your application. If any documents are missing, you will be notified and given 30 days to attach them; if they are not attached, the request will be automatically canceled.

If your application is approved, you will be notified by email.

Amer Centre:

  1. Visit one of the Amer service centers; you can find a complete list here:
  2. Request a Green Visa for freelancers at the reception desk.
  3. Fill out the application and attach any required documents before submitting it to an Amer Centre employee.
  4. Pay the fees due for the service.
  5. You will receive your entry visa via email.

The post Do you want to become a freelancer in Dubai? Through the GDRFA, you can apply for a five-year Green Visa appeared first on